C of E
Ashted – St James the Less. Formerly at Barrack Street / Great Brook Street (O.S.GR. SP 083876 approx)
The church was founded in 1789. The chapel was opened for divine service in 1791, and was consecrated in 1810. In 1853 a parish was formed out of Aston. In 1889 a mission room was opened in Dolman Street Duddeston (later known as St John’s Mission ), licensed for public worship 1908. Another mission in Lawley Street Birmingham later known as St Peter’s, was opened in 1896 and licensed from 1908 until the Second World War. It was seriously damaged during the Second World War and was demolished c.1956.
Gazetteer/Directory entries Eccl. Dist. Aston par., N. Warwickshire, in NE. [Bartholomew 1943]
Aston, Deritend, St Martin, St Bartholomew, Bishop Ryder
Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department
Burials 1810 -1935
Banns 1954 – 1959
Bishops Transcript at Lichfield
Marriages 1676 – 1835
Burials 1676 – 1843
1829 All missing.1844 – 1964 baptisms & burials missing
St Vincent de Paul 1883 Vauxhall Grove / Nechells Parkway, (O.S. GR. SP 0888 approx.)
The mission was established in 1883 a school chapel in Ashted Row was opened in 1884. It was served from St Joseph Nechells. Until 1885. A new church which also served as a school hall, was opened in Vaxhall Grove Ashted in 1930.