C of E
Sheldon- St Giles Church Road ( O.S. GR. SP 152846 )
In 1948 parts of Sheldon parish were transferred to Yardley, and part of the parish of St Margaret, Olton, was transferred to Sheldon. Sheldon mission church, Tile Cross was licensed for public worship from1924 until the Second World War, Marston Green Mental Hospital from 1937 until the Second World War and Garrett’s Green Community Centre from 1956.
Aston, Coleshill, Bickenhill, Elmdon, Solihull, Yardley
Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department
Banns 1823 -1972
B.M.S.G.H.- Register Copies
CD Rom – D025- Greater Birmingham Miscellany (other churches included ) Baptisms, Marriages, Burials 1558 – 1683. Baptisms 1683 – 1839, Marriages 1684 – 1858, Burials 1683 – 1841
Fiche M028 – Part 1 – Baptisms, Marriages, Burials 1588 – 1633
Fiche M029 – Part 2 – Baptisms 1683 – 1839, Marriages 1684 – 1858, Burials 1683-1841
Records held at Warwick Record Office
Banns 1823 -1858
Bishop’s transcripts at Lichfield
Baptisms 1676 – 1844
Marriages 1676 – 1836
Burials 1676 – 1844
Baptisms & burials missing 1841 – 1842
Baptist – Birmingham Union Cottage Homes ( Marston Green Cottage Homes ) Marston Green
Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptisms 1917 – 1931
Brethren – Barrows Lane Sheldon
Gospel hall was registered for public worship in 1946.
Christadelphians – Sheldon
Ecclesia began meeting in 1954, in Lyndon Green school.
Methodists – Brays Road Sheldon
Chapel formerly used by the Presbyterians, was reopened by the Methodists in 1952.
Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department Baptism 1952 – 1972
Marriage 1955 -1974
Presbyterians – Brays Road Sheldon
Free Church, was registered for public worship in 1940. I bought by the Methodists in 1952.
St Thomas More 130 Horse Shoes Lane ( O S GR SP1484 )
The mission was established in 1936. Mass was first said in a hall in Sheldon. A church hall served as a church, which was opened in 1937. It is linked to the school and is used for lessons.
Gazetteer / Directory Entries
SHELDON, a parish in the Birmingham Division of the hundred of HEMLINGFORD, county of WARWICK, 4¾ miles(S.W.) from Coleshill, containing 423 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Coventry, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king’s books at £8.10.10., and in the patronage of Earl Digby. The church, dedicated to St Giles, is principally in the decorated style, with a fine tower of later architecture. [Lewis 1831]