Religious Houses Click Here to go back to District Map Acocks Green Allens Cross Ashted Aston (Gosta Green) Aston Aston (Juxta) Aston Brook Aston Manor Balsall Heath Bartley Green Bearwood Billesley Birchfield Birmingham Blackwell Bordesley (Camp Hill) Bordesley Bordesley Green Bournbrook Bournville Brandwood Bromford Brookfields California Castle Bromwich Cotteridge Deritend Duddeston Earlswood Edgbaston Erdington Great Barr Greet Hall Green Hamstead Handsworth Harborne Hay Mills Hazelwell Highgate Hockley Hodge Hill Kings Heath Kings Norton Kingstanding Ladywood Longbridge Lozells Moseley Nechells Newtown Northfield Olton Oscott Perry Barr Perry Beeches Pipe Hayes Quinton Rednal Rubery Saltley Selly Oak Shard End Sheldon Shenley Green Small Heath Smethwick Solihull South Yardley Sparkbrook Sparkhill Springfield Spring Hill Stechford Stirchley Summerfield Sutton Coldfield Ward End Washwood Heath West Heath Weoley Castle Winson Green Witton Yardley Yardley Wood RELIGIOUS HOUSES
Church of England Churches
Listed left are Districts/Parish Churches within the City of Birmingham boundary. Clicking on the District will take you to the District Information Page which also shows an approximate Ordnance Survey Grid Reference. Where Birmingham has been indicated this means Birmingham Central. All sources are from Birmingham Central Library archives, Birmingham Diocesan Directory and the Victorian History of the Counties of England. Warwickshire Vol.VII
Unless identified separately & specifically ALL Churches are C of E
In 1876 at the invitation of Daniel Haigh, priest of the Erdington mission, and of Bishop Ullathorne, four Benedictines exiled from Beucon Bavaria, came to settle in Erdington. They took over the mission and built the first part of their house in 1880. The house became an abbey in 1896. In 1922 they returned to Germany and were succeeded at Erdington by Redemptionists. The earliest range of buildings ( 1880 ) adjoined the church of St Thomas and St Edmund.
About 1943 a house was established in Wellington Road Perry Barr. In 1954 there was a house of studies in Trinity Road Aston.
The convent of Carmelite nuns at 345 Church Road Yardley was established by 1937.
They apparently conducted schools in Birmingham from 1846 to 1849.
Dominians (Third order of Stone) – St Agnes’s Convent Sutton Road Erdington
Was founded in 1892.from at least 1893 the nuns have taught in Erdington School, and from at least 1900’s have had an independent girls day school.
The history of the 17th century Franciscan mission shows by the records of baptisms, conversions, confirmations, marriages and deaths, indicate roughly the strength of Roman Catholicism in the area.
Irish Sisters of Charity
St Annes convent 47 Highfield Road Saltley was founded in 1937 and since then nuns has taught in Saltley School ( The Rosary ).
St Gabriels Retreat House, Albert Road Harborne was founded in 1939.
Little Sisters of the Assumption
The house in Greenfield Crescent Edgbaston was established by 1937. The nuns nursed the poor in their homes.
Little Sisters of the Poor January 1867
The little sisters of the poor were said to have been established in the city, barely four years. They maintained a home for the aged poor in The Crescent. About 1874 they moved to St Joseph’s Home Queens Park Road Harborne.
A Marist was headmaster of the Rosary Senior School from its opening in 1937. The Marist house at 34 Edmund Road Saltley was apparently established by 1946.
Oblates of Mary Immaculate
Oblates of St Mary were said (1850 – 1851 ) to occupy Maryvale (Old Oscott) although in 1952 they were said to have first appeared in England in 1852. In 1938 they took over the parish of St Anne Alcester Street with a house at 96 Bradford Street Digbeth.
After Newman’s conversion, Bishop Wiseman the president of Oscott College invited him and his companions to settle in the old college buildings at Old Oscott, which Newman named Maryvale. Newman returned here from Rome as an Oratorian in 1847. Late in 1849 the oratory moved into Birmingham and was established in a former distillery in Alcester Street, where the Oratorians conducted a mission, and established a school. In 1859 the Oratory moved to Hagley Road Edgbaston where they established a mission.
Our Lady of Compassion
The convent was established in 1905 at Wilton House Warwick Road Acocks Green. The nuns taught in Holy Souls School until they moved to Olton in 1948.
Established the Harborne mission and St Mary’s Retreat in 1870. In 1874 the bought a house in Vivian Road Harborne. They established a poor school in 1871.
Poor sisters of Nazareth
Nazareth House Upland Road Selly Park was established in 1910
In 1922 Redemptionists took over Erdington Abbey and the conduct of the mission there from the Benedictines.
School Sisters of Notre Dame
Settled in Birmingham at 62 Hyde Road by 1874. They also conducted the oratory school until 1882 when the Hyde House Lady wood appears to have closed.
Sisters of Charity of St Paul. – St Paul’s Convent Selly Park
Was founded in 1864 when the motherhouse of the order in England moved to Selly Hall Selly Park, from Banbury ( Oxfordshire ). A new chapel was built 1915.
Sisters of Christian Schools St Johns convent Park Road Moseley
Were founded in 1906.
Sisters of Mercy
In 1840 John Hardenman founded a house of Sisters of Mercy, Hunters Road Handsworth which opened in 1841. A new chapel was built in the late 1950’s.
Sisters of the Holy Child Jesus
Was established at 59 Hagley Road Bear wood in 1881.
Sisters of the Retreat of the Sacred Heart.
A retreat house of the order was opened in Wheeleys Road Edgbaston in 1912. By 1954 it had moved to Harborne Hall.