Stourbridge: Group Visit – Church of St. Mary, Kingswinford – CANCELLED
21st July @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Summer Evening Visit to St. Mary’s Church, Kingswinford
Margaret Penn will be our host
The Parish Church of Kingswinford, St. Mary’s overlooks the village green where the pound can still be seen and ‘The Old Court House’ where years ago most of the parish business was transacted. This church used to serve a vast parish and has existed since the 12th century and probably even longer. An earlier church may well have stood on the site before the present building. The first vicar of Kingswinford was William in the year1186, his name and those of his successors are listed on the board midway along the north wall of the church, in the area of the Lady Chapel. The church was to all intents and purposes closed from 1831 to 1846 for main services due to fears that the building would be endangered by subsidence from planned mining which in fact did not take place since the coal seam was found not to pass underneath the structure. It now serves a much smaller parish.
Please note 7 p.m. start for this meeting Tour and refreshments. £4p/h Booking is essential. A booking means Vicky being in receipt of your cheque or cash.
Meet in the Church Hall behind the church