The parish was transferred from Gloucesteshire to Warwickshire in 1931. The village is about four miles south west of Stratford-upon-Avon. There are a number of old cottages together with new housing. The area originally belonged to the Priory of Deerhurst in Gloucestershire. The church, rebuilt to the design of Sir Gilbert Scott in 1866, retains some traces of its Norman origin. Bickmarsh and Little Dorsington are hamlets within the parish.

DIOCESE: Gloucester. HUNDRED: Upper Kiftsgate. UNION: Stratford

ADJOINING PARISHES: Bidford-on-Avon, Weston-upon-Avon, Long Marston, Dorsington.

Parish Registers: Christenings: 1561-1922 Marriages: 1561-1844 Burials: 1561-1881.

Bishop's Transcripts : From 1605-1859 GLO

IGI: On Gloucestershire fiche. Widely available; BMSGH(PS)

REGISTER COPIES: 1561-1689 (extracts) BIR Christenings: 1561-1739, Marriages: 1561-1716, 1730-1763

Burials: 1561-1762 STR
Marriages: 1561-1716, 1730-63 ROE , GLO

MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS: Church and Yard to late 19th century STR
St. Peter's BMSGH m/fiche , WAR , SoG , BIR
Church and Churchyard SoG


1851 BMSGH SI v.11 SoG , BIR
1881 BCP , BMSGH(PS)

Burial 1813-1837
Poor Law c1690-1860

OTHER SOURCES: Map of estate of John Levett 1762.
The Davenport Family of Reading and Welford-on-Avon, J.Davenport.
Notes on Milcote, Little Dorsington and Weston-on-Avon, J.Hill.
Manuscript sources for village history, Welford-on-Avon 1978 WAR , STR

[Last updated: 18th March 2013 ] Comments, corrections and additions to TYAIW Updates please