The village is on the slope of Warmington Hill about five miles north west of Banbury. The church has been built on the hill crest and is a prominent landmark. The village itself is most attractive, with its stone houses grouped around the village green. The old manor house dates from the sixteenth century. Farnborough Hall, home of the Holbech family, is two miles distant. Arlescote is a hamlet.

DIOCESE: Lichfield. HUNDRED: Kington. UNION: Banbury

ADJOINING PARISHES: Burton Dassett, Avon Dassett, Mollington (Oxon), Shotteswell, Horley (Oxon), Ratley, Radway.

Parish Registers: Christenings: 1636-1979 M 1636-1978 Burials: 1636-1919 Banns 1802-1813 1824-1829

Bishop's Transcripts : 1662-1847 LIC Begin c1833 WOR

IGI: Christenings: 1728-1885, Marriages: 1730-1895. Widely available; BMSGH(PS)

REGISTER COPIES: Banns 1824-1829 SoG
Wesleyan Methodist Z 1872-1927 (see Grimsbury Oxfords), Z 1905-1972 (see Banbury Oxfords) SoG

MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS: Yard pre 1812 with plan STR
St. Michael BMSGH m/fiche , WAR , SoG , BIR


1881 BCP , BMSGH(PS)

Burial 1813-1837 Marriage 1754-1837
Poor Law c1690-1860

MANORIAL RECORDS: Note re survey of Loveday's estate at Arlescote.

DEEDS: Deeds, wills etc, deposit of Herbert & Franklin, solicitors, Banbury.

OTHER SOURCES: Loveday of Arlescote, deeds, estate papers etc 1572-1789 1677-1860 1667-1913.
Claridge family of Warmington, deeds 1615-1785.
A Short History of Arlescote and Warmington. c1840-1859 (principally concerning descent of property from Norman times but concentrating on the changes of ownership after inclosure of 1777).
Arlescote, Country Life, Sept 5 1947.
Arlescote, Photographic survey 1938.
Ward collection drawings.

[Last updated: 18th March 2013 ]