This is a fairly large 'extra-parochial' area adjoining Monks Kirby to the west. Register entries have therefore to be sought in nearby parishes. There is no village; the hamlets of Upper and Lower Smite were depopulated in the Middle Ages. The Cistercian Abbey of Combe, which was dissolved in 1539, was in part incorporated into the mansion built in the sixteenth century. It was acquired in 1616 by Sir William Craven. The grounds, laid out by Capability Brown include a ninety acre lake. Combe Abbey, now owned by the City of Coventry, is open to the public. Today there is a civil parish known as Combe Fields.

ADJOINING PARISHES: Walsgrave-on-Sowe, Ansty (Anstey), Withybrook with Monks Kirby, Monks Kirby, Brinklow, Binley, Wyken.

1851 vXII (RR) , SoG
1881 BCP , BMSGH(PS)

MANORIAL RECORDS: (Smite and Withybrook) 1525-1538.

DEEDS: Relating to Combe Abbey estate, 17th-18th centuries, including survey.

OTHER SOURCES: Survey of estates of the Earl of Craven 1823.
Letters, Craven family 1679-1683.
Ward collection drawings.

[Last updated: 18th March 2013 ]