Ansley is situated about five miles west of Nuneaton. A coal mine was in operation here last century. The church of St.Lawrence is of Norman origin, whilst Ansley Hall dates from the early eighteenth century. Later it was taken over by the Ansley Hall Coal and Iron Company founded by William Garside Phillips (Great grandfather of Captain Mark Phillips, first husband of Princess Anne.)

DIOCESE: Lichfield. HUNDRED: Hemlingford. UNION: Atherstone

ADJOINING PARISHES: Bentley, Mancetter, Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton, Astley, Arley and Over Whitacre.

Parish Registers: Christenings: 1637-1981 Marriages: 1637-1981 Burials: 1637-1967 Banns 1754-1953

Bishop's Transcripts : 1667-1846 (gaps) LIC Begin c1833 WOR

IGI: Christenings: 1637-1875, Marriages: 1637-1876. Chapel End Meeting and Providence Chapel Independent Christenings: 1789-1837 Widely available; BMSGH(PS)

NONCONFORMIST: Congregational: Z 1917-1989 Marriages: 1940, 1954, 1963-1980 WAR

Independent Z 1789-1837 PRO COV

MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS: Church and/or Yard pre 1812.
St.Lawrence. BMSGH m/fiche . WAR SoG BIR

1851 81 BIR SoG
1851 vIX (RR) SoG

INDEXES See Appendix II Burial 1667-1837
Marriage 1754-1837
Poor Law c1690-1860

MANORIAL RECORDS: Manor Court Book 1777-1789.
Survey of Manor 1759 (map) .

DEEDS: 1343-1927

OTHER SOURCES: Oughton family, 16th and 17th centuries
Plans of estates of Francis Stratford 1740 1741.
Parish accounts 1672-1722 discussed and partly transcribed TBMIAS 1890 BIR WAR
Letters re John Ludford of Ansley Hall 1728-1742 BIR
Ludford of Ansley WAR Ludford, Letters 1728-1742 BIR

[Last updated: 18th March 2013 ]